Daily Alla Prima Oils


Hiya guys!.. 

Boy it's been sometime since I've posted here. I guess I haven't really been doing anything new when it comes to the humdrum business of daily practicing, following Nicolaides 'The Natural Way to Draw' exercises and the usual figure drawing practice sessions. Since joining instagram it's allowed me to share my practice works in a quick immediate fashion too.

This year has allowed me a little more room to breath though and to focus on my art, and with that more energy to expend on trying to up my game when it comes to the nitty gritty of improving ones skills..

So I've started trying to cultivate the tried and tested practice of the daily alla prima oil! 

I didn't really have a thought of sharing the process of these when creating them, so pics are limited,but here are a few.. They've all been about 4" x 4" in size so far.

Completed Dreamcatcher 2 on the easel showing the still life setup

Now I don't want these to take focus away from my main artworks, so with limited time to spare I've been trying (and mostly failing) to keep within a time limit of 1h (after setting up the still life and colours etc.). There have been quite a few times when the time limit is up and I've just scrubbed the board clean as I had failed to complete it with adequate proficiency. Some I've been too happy with and spared by continuing till they were complete.


Underpainting of a failed painting that got the scrub in the end.

This is the underpainting of Tealight Lamp (see below complete) on clear acrylic primed hardboard. 

Some that survived to completion..

Dreamcatcher
Dreamcatcher 2


Dreamcatcher 3

Dreamcatcher 4


Tealight Lamp


Hopefully I'll be able to capture more interesting shots and share any extra insights I've acquired here in the future..

If you're interested in checking these dailies out fresh off the easel, I shall be posting new ones regularly (at least that is the plan) for collection at Daily Alla Prima Oils.

Ta guys! Thanks for the visit!.. :)


Comments

Popular Posts