Watson' the Cat Wet on Wet Oil Painting.

Still not done with practicing how to create harmonious strong and vibrant colour palettes. I was attempting to create the crosshatch like pattern of 'Vegvisir' with this little 4"x4" oil, but in a more spontaneous expressive manner. However it went the route of a Van Gogh'ish style instead in the end..

Still I like it, and I'm happy with the strong saturated warm palette with complimentary dashes of green here and there.. There is still so much to learn and master when it comes to colour!..


Cat impressionist oil painting on the easel by Jacqueline Gomez
Watson the cat, Sherlock (the dog)'s faithful inquisitive companion (the subject of another of my most recent paintings 'Vegvisir' ), immortalized in oil, on easel..


The Underpainting

Began with a lovely toned, knife gessoed ground as I was thinking of leaving some of this surface showing here and there. I needn't have bothered though as I covered it all in the end, as the toned ground was a bit too bright and the hue did not really go with the final palette..

Knife gessoed toned ground I usually favour for my work..

Underpainting in raw umber oil paint
Underpainting in raw umber.

 
A basic tonally accurate underpainting was painted with raw umber and some medium (I usually use turp, refined linseed oil and liquin, even in my underpainting nowadays, as this keeps the paint thin and workable on the surface longer). This was left to dry for two days (though a day would have been fine)


Painting


It was then painted almost all wet on wet (I did the red blanket on one day and the cat the next)

Palette:
Titanium White
Lemon Yellow
Cad Yellow
​Yellow Ocher
Alizarin Crimson
Scarlet Lake
Cad Red
French Ultramarine Blue
Phthalo Blue
Raw Umber

A second layer of pure hue (without white) was applied to some parts of the blanket (which due to the nature of the paints are quite transparent) to get the vibrant reds you see..

After a couple of weeks it was given a thin layer of Retouching Varnish..

Tabby Cat Impasto Impressionist Oil Painting by Jacqueline Gomez in Red and Brown
Watson
Oil on Gesso Primed Board
4.4 x 4.4 Inches
Collect the Original or Purchase a Print



Thanks for dropping by guys!.. :)



Comments

Popular Posts